Vegan Protein Bars for Plant-Based Peanut Butter Junkies
Just like Empathy, these vegan protein bars are everyone-friendly. Whatever your day holds next from a stroll to the farmer’s market or a scroll through TikTok, these bars will fuel you through your favorites—while being delicious & entirely plant-based!
What’s inside our vegan protein bars
1 cup old-fashioned oats (or oat flour)
½ cup quick oats
3 scoops Empathy Plant Co. protein powder**
½ cup crispy rice cereal
¼ cup maple syrup (or alternate vegan-sweetener)
⅓ cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 - 2 TBSP non-dairy chocolate chips
** For a more subtle base, use our Vanilla flavor so that the added peanut butter really pops. For more flavor depth and a hint of cookie, opt for our Cookies & Cream flavor instead.
How to make
- Line a 9 by 5 loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly grease with a vegan-safe margarine or natural shortening made from plant products.
If you use an oil (like coconut or safflower oil), lightly dust flour over the oil once greased to cut down on the liquid content before adding mixture.
However you choose to grease the pan, leave four strips of parchment paper overhanging the edges, two in each direction to create handles to easily remove the bars once set for cleaner cutting.
- Pulse old-fashioned oats in a food processor (or your blender) until they are a flour consistency (if you prefer, skip straight to this step with an oat flour).
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the processed oats (or oat flour) with the quick oats, protein powder, and rice cereal. Set aside.
- In a small pan, stir maple syrup and peanut butter over medium heat until melted and combined. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture over the large bowl of oats and cereal. Stir to combine.
- Using a rubber spatula or your hands, press the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Be careful not to rush too much and grab a handful of hot peanut butter!
- Chill the loaf pan into the fridge for 30+ minutes to let the bars set.
- While the bars set, prepare your chocolate. Melt the chocolate chips into the microwave in thirty second intervals (stirring between) or in a double-boiler on the stovetop.
- After your bars have set, use the parchment paper handles to easily remove the bars from the pan and set onto a cutting board. For easier clean up, lay a sheet of excess parchment paper over the board first.
- Then, drizzle your melted chocolate over the bars in slow, even strokes. Let the chocolate pass over the bars and onto the parchment paper for clean drizzles.
- Once again, set the bars (now on the cutting board) into the fridge to set the chocolate, at least ten minutes.
- Slice the bars into your desired size. For on-the-go bars, slice into 10-12 horizontally so you have granola bar sized hand-helds! For snacking at home, slice into even, bite-sized cubes for continuous snacking.
Bonus Tip:To mix it up, rather than drizzling chocolate on top, double the amount of chocolate and thin it slightly with an additional spoon of coconut oil. Then, spread chocolate over top your vegan protein bars in a second layer. Lastly, sprinkle extra peanuts on top for an added crunch.
This does up the calorie count, so it’s perfect for when you need some added fuel! The caffeine in the chocolate and the protein-dense peanuts make for a double-whammy to wake you up and keep you going.
Since these bars are “naturally vegan,” that is, most of the ingredients aren’t vegan-alternatives, but rather products that are almost-always vegan, these are perfect for sharing with everyone if you’re the vegan of the house or for introducing more vegan snacks if you’re new to plant-based eating.
No matter what, our vegan protein bars packed with peanut butter are sure to satisfy!