Some Monkey Business: Cookies & Cream Protein Pancakes
We’re a sucker for a simple protein shake. It’s easy, delicious, and nutritious. What’s not to love? But some mornings, you want something on a plate! When the mood strikes, opt instead for a protein pancake for the same nutrition boost of a basic shake with a totally dining different experience.
What’s inside our cookies & cream protein pancakes
2 scoops Empathy Plant Co. Cookies & Cream protein powder
2 TBSP flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 pinch salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 banana, mashed (opt for a riper, near-browning banana for more sweetness and flavor)
4 TBSP milk of choice
How to make
- In your larger bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- In your smaller bowl, combine the egg, banana, and milk. Mash the banana and whisk into the liquid to make a semi-smooth mix.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix gently until just combined. Don’t overmix. You might have some lumps from the banana, that’s okay!
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil/butter to prevent sticking.
- Pour ¼ C. of batter into the skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface (2-3 minutes). Turn with a spatula and repeat on the other side.
- Once cooked, serve your favorite way or steal an idea from us.
For a true banana-fanatic, top your cookies & cream protein pancakes with more bananas! Caramelize bananas with a dash of oil/butter and a spoonful of sugar in your pan (once done) and heat until they turn golden and release their caramel-goo. Pour the bananas and leftover “caramel” alike atop your pancakes for a sweet, protein-packed alternative to traditional pancakes.
If you want additional sweetness without the work of caramelizing bananas, slice extra bananas on top and then drizzle with honey for a comparative taste with a bit less work!
For extra protein, add in another flavor set: peanut butter. Cookies & Cream protein pancakes become the ultimate threesome with the addition of protein-packed peanut butter for a classic flavor combination. If you’re on the go, smear peanut butter inside a protein pancake and fold for a hand-held protein punch you can carry right out the door!
If adding peanut butter is a game changer for you, experiment with adding powdered peanut butter into your pancake mix directly for a more intense peanut butter element.
For a chocoholic, serve with additional chocolate on top! Slice bananas and sprinkle alongside chocolate chips or raw cocoa chips (for less sugar). The chocolate can introduce more sweetness, depending on the chocolate itself, or it can be a balancing bitterness if you opt for a raw cocoa chip or sugar-free alternative.
If you can’t decide, feel free to mix and match. Caramelized bananas go great with peanut butter or use dark chocolate to tone down the caramel’s sweetness. However you eat them, these chocolate-banana protein pancakes are sure to start your day with plenty of protein and just a bit of monkey business.